Re: [ossig] FC2 Linux need to upgrade

On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 09:27 +0800, Uwe Dippel wrote:
> This is the point: With RedHat, Novell, you get support and support is
> what you need for large scale deployment. I'm not talking about mailing
> list and other 'nerdy' stuff. I am talking about a phone number,
> physical address. 24/7, probably.

That's the first step. The second step is having someone competent
answer the phone.

We don't really have support for RedHat in .my. Novell is a wee bit
better, but the support locally by the local firms is not really good.
Of course, I have to qualify that by saying that the technical support
quality by proprietary vendors is relatively low in Malaysia too.

As far as commercial companies go, I really like Novell's and RedHat's
commitment to FOSS; paying them money is supporting FOSS, so that's an
easy decision to make.

For sufficiently big sized projects, it is necessary to start building
your own support team, which I believe is the path local FOSS firms are
taking (as Exoweb China has done).

Debian in the wild in .my? Never seen it, unfortunately. Hell, I've seen
Ubuntu being used on a server system, but not Debian. Debian doesn't
seem too popular here, but it is wildly popular elsewhere.

Regards,
Ditesh