[ossig] [Fwd: Re: [NOSI discussion] The Code Breakers - A BBC World Documentary]

The silence on the code breakers episode one was most deafening. I
thought I'd forward this posting on the nosi list to see if there is any
local reaction.
Molly

Glenn McKnight wrote:

>I mirror Molly's Cheah's comments
>The much touted show was beyond disappointment.
>
>The tongue and cheek comments by the announcer made her look like a MS
>stooge.   Throughout the show a Jonathan Murray Microsoft EMEA was given
>continous opportunities to lambast the Open Source position.

In fact I was wondering if the M$ "donation" to UNDP two years ago
partly goes to make this documentary. There was a young person
interviewed who said she didn't know anything except M$ word!

>The  best quote was from  a Kenneth Cukier of
>
>*/Open Source Software is like Generic Drugs" /*and he later says */Open Source  is needed to bridge the Digital Divide/*
>
>The show had a short clip on Dr Stallman talking about the four freedoms
>which went into a distorted reverb audio segment,  Reasons unknown.

What was worse was how Stallman's freedoms were negated by comments of
Bruce Perens and the Intel guy (business logic). BBC was out of focus
and turned Code Breakers which should examine "whether free/open source
software (FOSS) might be the bridge" to address the widening digital
divide to a M$ vs FOSS session. In short, M$ hijacked the programme
under the very noses of UNDP-APDIP. That's why I asked if UNDP-APDIP had
a say in the production of the documentary since it lends its name to
the joint venture. Always beware of the media, any media including the
BBC which is why I was doubly disappointed.

>I could go on and on since I took copious notes.

Glen, perhaps you would like to do a critique on the documentary,
separately for each episode. I think this will be lessons to learn for
FOSS advocates and not take the "goodwill" of media when its offered for
granted. The message projected from this BBC documentary turned out to
be quite the opposite of what we wish for!

>In a nutshell
>Don't waste your time
>
>Glenn

Should see it. I'm not surprised by this turn of events - that M$ could
turn the tables on a FOSS initiative. I must say that we are all so very
naive to think that this is a break that the FOSS community so deserved.

Molly