[ossig] Mobilizing NGOs advocating FOSS

Hi,

Here's another opportunity for FOSS advocating NGOs and individuals to
help influence ICT policies for development at a global level. Feel free
to pass this information to anyone interested in promoting FOSS.

http://www.unicttaskforce.org/

Global Alliance for ICT Policy and Development

Inaugural Meeting

In a follow up to the recent decision of the Secretary-General (see
press release), the inaugural meeting of the Global Alliance for ICT and
Development will be held on 19-20 June 2006 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
following a generous invitation by the Government of Malaysia. The
programme of the meeting will be made available shortly. All interested
stakeholders are invited to participate in the meeting. A registration
form for indicating both your interest in participating in the Global
Alliance and, specifically, your participation in the Kuala Lumpur
meeting is attached.

The Tunis Commitment (Document WSIS-05/Tunis/DOC/7-E) contains only 2
items that refers to promoting FOSS. The use of FOSS in item 29. sounded
like an after-thought......*

*

> *28.* *We reaffirm our desire* to build ICT networks and develop
> applications, in partnership with the private sector, based on open or
> interoperable standards that are affordable and accessible to all,
> available anywhere and anytime, to anyone and on any device, leading
> to a ubiquitous network.
>
> *29. Our conviction* is that governments, the private sector, civil
> society, the scientific and academic community, and users can utilise
> various technologies and licensing models, including those developed
> under proprietary schemes and those developed under open-source and
> free modalities, in accordance with their interests and with the need
> to have reliable services and implement effective programmes for their
> people. Taking into account the importance of proprietary software in
> the markets of the countries, *we reiterate* the need to encourage and
> foster collaborative development, inter-operative platforms and free
> and open source software, in ways that reflect the possibilities of
> different software models, notably for education, science and digital
> inclusion programmes.

Dr Molly Cheah
Protem President, Open Source Health Care Alliance (OSHCA)