Re: [ossig] "What is Firefox ?" or: Where is MAMPU ?

On Thu, 2006-05-25 at 10:15 +0800, Uwe Dippel wrote:

> I brought this up with one of their IT-chaps, and the answer was: "What
> is Firefox ? Never heard about it."

Is this MAMPU's fault?

"IT-chap" obviously doesn't read any IT related papers, magazines or
even websites for the past year or so.

CNet, InTech, Computimes (even Windows magazines!) and probably a
million other IT sites would have mentioned Firefox at least once
somewhere. It's also outside of the IT stream, including hundreds of
general blogs in Malay even if language is an issue. Heck even
mainstream articles on IE7 mention Firefox as a side note.

Now assuming he doesn't read any of these, then chances are somebody in
his group of IT friends would from a friend of a friend.

I don't blame MAMPU for this.. I would say, something is wrong, very
wrong if an *IT person* doesn't know or even heard stuff going on in
mainstream IT.

Sad to say, I don't think this is just in IT. "United Nations, is it
public listed ah? MNC?", unfortunately isn't an isolated and funny
response anymore. When you get it at banks from "graduates", it starts
getting scary.

I would say this is a deeper inherent problem with our society over the
past several or more years.

I don't hold MAMPU accountable for this. Even if they did flyers, and
seminars and info sites or whatever.. I don't think they would have
gotten through to this chap. :)