Re: [ossig] "What is Firefox ?" or: Where is MAMPU ?

Or, to get quite another perspective into it:
Maybe we need an ombudsperson to check that official sites are standards
compliant. Someone *must* be in the position to check that e-something
of government is available to everyone.

I brought this up when meeting the MAMPU folks the other day, the answer is basically "it's unenforcable".

:(

You can make as many policies as you like, but as long as the guy implementing the website is some obnoxious, clueless monkey clicking pretty buttons in Frontpage*, it's not going to happen.

*True story : there was one website we needed to access for an official task, and I couldn't access it from Mozilla/Linux/Sparc64 (it was an intranet site, and the salvaged sparc was all I had to work with). Apparently the buttons were ActiveX. I complained to the guy who was in charge of the site, and he gave me a haughty, arrogant look like I was some kind of troublemaker, and said "why can't you use Internet Explorer on Windows like everyone else?"

There are a *LOT* of idiots like that out there. There is no solution to this, except if someone invented a vaccine for stupidity.

-= Nur Hussein =-