Re: [ossig] "What is Firefox ?" or: Where is MAMPU ?

As far as I know, Education Ministry is the hardest ministry for OSS
to come in. It is the place where MS sinks their money. So, you could
imagine that nearly all of them is really grateful to MS.

And for MAMPU, they can only advise on the usage of OSS, but it's up
to the ministry and the agency themselves whether to implement it or
not. If government tried to enforce OSS or even Open Standard, then MS
will be running all over trying to stop it, and accusing government
that they are dictating procurement.

On 5/25/06, Uwe Dippel <udippel@uniten.edu.my> wrote:
> Dear all,
> the sad state of affairs, alas, to cry out loud.
>
> Last week I was at KLICA 2006, a conference organised by the Examination
> Syndicate. Very well organised; as usual, this is what we always get right.
> Only: the website (http://www.klica.lpm.gov.my/index.html) was not
> legible with Firefox; static content, to be noted. Call For Paper, as on
> http://www.klica.lpm.gov.my/index_callforpaper.html
> I brought this up with one of their IT-chaps, and the answer was: "What
> is Firefox ? Never heard about it."
>
> This week I'm busy with eScience, the follower of IRPA. You have to file
> online. I might point out, that the site is *very* *very* slow, but
> that's quite something else.
> What bothers me is, that I can't fill my forms with - Firefox !. I don't
> see any reason to call the helpdesk. They have their hands full with
> other items; like dishing out passwords and stuff. And once again,
> everyone there is *very* helpful. And helpdesk people can't be blamed
> for decisions of systems, implementation and administration.
> I don't mind that the site runs on dot-net, not really. But especially
> browser compatibility is something someone could expect, IMO. After we
> had years of discussion on an IT policy and also very helpful and
> dedicated staff in MAMPU.
>
> Now I wonder, with so many good-willing parties, what went so badly wrong ?
>
> Uwe

Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan