RE: [ossig] "What is Firefox ?" or: Where is MAMPU ?

On Mon, 2006-05-29 at 09:26 +0800, Manimohan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> For quite a while I have been very impressed by the government's efforts
> in the Open Source area. I attended numerous events organised by various
> ministries and agencies where the government's policy on Open Source and
> roadmap etc etc were discussed, ratified and unveiled with much fanfare.
> This seemed to augur well.
>
> Examples of actual issues in reality cropping up such as shown by this
> thread only makes one wonder!

Based on our experiences dealing with some government ministries, we
have come to realize that there are people in the government that do
care about openness and understand that openness is the key to ensuring
that /all/ citizens of this country benefit from government initiatives.

However, like all wars, fighting for openness will need to be fought one
battle at a time.

One way concerned citizens can fight this battle is to, as
Dinesh/Khairil have correctly pointed, is to write officially to the
ministry in charge and raise the issues you have faced (it also helps to
lobby your representative in the parliment). Sympathetic officials will
then be able to use your letter (as well as letters of the others) to
push for initiatives that are based on open standards and are open
source friendly.

As someone once told me, governments must work for /all/ the people
wherever possible, and in this case it is very possible to make
everybody happy by adhering to open standards. It certainly is good news
that a surprising number of Malaysian government officials think along
these lines but they can only take action if we assist them in doing so.

Regards,
Ditesh