Re: [ossig] Changes in the industry

On Sat, 2006-06-24 at 14:12 +0800, Dinesh Nair wrote:
> On 06/23/06 02:26 Ditesh Kumar said the following:
> > a) Sun announces change of guard
> > b) Microsoft announces change of guard
> > c) Novell announces change of guard
> > d) (less relevant) SGI announces change of guard
> >
> > The industry seems to be going through a shakeup. All are having
> > financial issues (issues meaning that they ain't keeping the
>
> this is pretty normal and is part of the cycle of the industry, for the
> last shakeup happened 25 years ago as the PC replaced the monolithic
> mainframes and central processing units which hallmarked the IBMs, Unisys
> and Amdahls of the industry then.

so you're effectively saying that the next substantial computing
revolution is starting/has just started? what are the changes you see as
being indicative of this?

for my part, the notable changes i see taking place are:

* the foss developmental methodology is delivering, hence indicating
that proprietary development methodologies is not the only way of
producing commercial software
* browser technology has finally been able to deliver on its promise of
products to be delivered as services
* technology advances and political/economic hemegonies are flattening
the world not only for companies but for individuals too. while this has
increased the level of competition, it also has increased the level of
collaboration between individuals - foss, blogging, research are prime
examples of high value creation from this flatter world we live in.

what would you agree or disagree with the points noted above?

ditesh