Re: [ossig] Changes in the industry

ditesh,

you have made a very interesting observation.

taking that further, i think the future may consist of 'service suites'
- just like how google maintains my email (and digital assets), my
website (and marketing media), my calendar, my future income (my
googleads is still miserable), instant messaging (instead of sms) and
soon my spreadsheet. but all this depends on connectivity.

the other model that may work is the 'distro suite' model. the ubuntu
repositories greatly influence what software i have on my computer and
what games my daughter plays (though i have added other stuff like
shockwave flash, java, etc).

if these are the two models that will dominate the consumer software
market in the future, then the industry need to change. my conventional
accounting software sales model does not fit well into either of the two
models.

i see a lot of small business who now have some preference to buy
software online, especially for anti-virus software. part of this
mentality change has been broadband and online banking. maybank2u is a
cultural phenomenon just like atm machines 15 years ago.

obviously, all of these need to sit on some software stack (that dinesh
had put forth) on the clients and servers.

so there is a huge number of opportunities for able and competent
'knowledge workers'.

Raja Iskandar Shah
http://www.norazilaco.biz