Re: [ossig] JSP v PHP for Biz Intelligence Application

Chang Sau Sheong wrote:

> C was 'cobbled into existence'. Unix was 'cobbled into existence'. So was Linux et al.

Exactly. That shows.

> PHP was originally called 'Personal Home Page' because that was its
> origins. Today I can develop standalone applications using PHP
> (http://gtk.php.net). PHP is an evolved platform, each version getting
> better. It is derogatory to call it a 'hack'.

That's subjective. I consider myself a hacker:

> A hacker is someone who likes to do new things with computers.
>
> [...]
>
> Some mislabled hackers have made trojan horse programs, computer viruses, or computer worms that can hurt other people's computers.
>
> The older and true meaning of the word hacker is "someone who understands computers very well, and likes to do new and unusual or difficult things with them, not for their initial intended use". This meaning of the word hacker is usually a compliment, meaning to hack.

As sysadmin for mambo and wordpress, I really wished it was more
difficult to write an insecure application.
If you don't know what I'm talking about: http://www.secunia.com is a
fine resource.
http://secunia.com/product/1720/
is one such an example. My users argue forth and back how nice it is and
that 'we must have it'.

Uwe