Re: [ossig] JSP v PHP for Biz Intelligence Application

Oh, we sell to banks and it's too much of a pain to explain why PHP. And certainly my sales people won't do that :) In any case most of the solution is not web based.

Vincent Lee wrote:
php is a compelling platform, but any reasons why your company choose J2EE
exclusively?

--- Chang Sau Sheong <cssheong@pacific.net.sg> wrote:

I disagree that PHP is a 'hack'. It has less hooks to other enterprise
(read 'vendor developed') applications but it is as compelling a
platform as any.

Having said as much I work exclusively with J2EE in my day job,
primarily because it is more acceptable to my buying customers (it's
easier internal justification). Ultimately most vendors would pick J2EE
as it is the path of least resistance to selling the app itself. However
if you are developing an internal app that you need to maintain
yourself, with limited resources, I strongly recommend Ruby on Rails.

Uwe Dippel wrote:

Vincent Lee wrote:

that is very true, I used to work in DBS BANK, and the policy is NO
to PHP.
Only .net or j2ee.

I dunno about all this.
But to me, though I prefer php, php is more of a 'hack'. In order to
get it 'tight', there's more to work on. Then better start with JSP in
the first place.

2 sen,

Uwe

Sau Sheong

http://blog.saush.com - brain dump
http://www.projectible.com - online project publishing
http://jaccal.sourceforge.net - smart card toolkit
http://screensvr.rubyforge.org - Flickr screensaver

Wavelet Solutions Sdn Bhd (www.wavelet.biz)
GC-43, Ground Floor, Block C,
Kelana Square, 17 Jalan SS7/26,
Kelana Jaya, 47301 Selangor, Malaysia.
H/P: 012-6018838
Tel: 03-78042287 / 78042207
Fax: 03-78042281
IF BETTER IS POSSIBLE, GOOD IS NOT ENOUGH
CONFIDENTIAL NOTE:
The information contained in this email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete the mail. Thank you.