Re: [ossig] JSP v PHP for Biz Intelligence Application

On Tue, 2006-07-11 at 12:05 +0100, Vincent Lee wrote:
> for financial applications, from security to scalability, from exception

Scalability -> big debate and the current consensus is that horizontal
scalability model that php uses is superior in management to the
traditional vertical scalability model of j2ee.

Read:

http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2004/07/01/the-j2ee-guy-still-doesnt-get-php/

> handling to transaction management (at application level, not db level), from

Transaction management -> stateless architectures (shared-nothing) have
been proven to work in the industry, can you show an example where a
shared-disk/shared-memory architecture at an app level is required and
where a shared-nothing architecture db-level architecture won't work?

> application architecture to various other reasons... from speed to code
> manageability....

Speed and code ... you must be kidding right?

> most importantly, even if php beat j2ee in all technical aspects (which is not

Use the right tool for the right job. If php is not considered for use,
why so? Nobody has illustrated so with any clarity.

> hence command a hire price from pure marketing angle..... since this is a web
> application for the financial sector, commercially, technically, I would like
> to humbly recommend j2ee...

I specifically removed marketing and client considerations from my
question. We can discuss that angle, but that is suitable as a separate
thread so as to not confuse the issues.

Ditesh