Re: [ossig] JSP v PHP for Biz Intelligence Application

i can understand your wealth of knowledge in stateless management, and all the
skills in various php engines/platforms... very good ;-)...

my company, and many other companies still choose j2ee as their platform for
developing commercial financial applications, including ERP etc.

Since you are quite good in PHP, any reasons why these financial software
companies don't use PHP, but they choose J2EE? May be you can share with us?

For websites, php is cool, for web-based financial applications, I still
recommend j2ee.....

personally, i am into both php and j2ee....
http://sourceforge.net/users/leehongfay/

tikiwiki (php) for Content Management
Wavelet EMP (j2ee) for ERP

YES, agree with you that we select the tools based on projects.. and for Raja's
case... still recommend j2ee for financial applications ;-)

--- Ditesh Kumar <ditesh@gathani.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-07-11 at 12:05 +0100, Vincent Lee wrote:
> > for financial applications, from security to scalability, from exception
>
> Scalability -> big debate and the current consensus is that horizontal
> scalability model that php uses is superior in management to the
> traditional vertical scalability model of j2ee.
>
> Read:
>
> http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2004/07/01/the-j2ee-guy-still-doesnt-get-php/
>
> > handling to transaction management (at application level, not db level),
> from
>
> Transaction management -> stateless architectures (shared-nothing) have
> been proven to work in the industry, can you show an example where a
> shared-disk/shared-memory architecture at an app level is required and
> where a shared-nothing architecture db-level architecture won't work?
>
> > application architecture to various other reasons... from speed to code
> > manageability....
>
> Speed and code ... you must be kidding right?
>
> > most importantly, even if php beat j2ee in all technical aspects (which is
> not
>
> Use the right tool for the right job. If php is not considered for use,
> why so? Nobody has illustrated so with any clarity.
>
> > hence command a hire price from pure marketing angle..... since this is a
> web
> > application for the financial sector, commercially, technically, I would
> like
> > to humbly recommend j2ee...
>
> I specifically removed marketing and client considerations from my
> question. We can discuss that angle, but that is suitable as a separate
> thread so as to not confuse the issues.
>
> Ditesh

Wavelet Solutions Sdn Bhd (www.wavelet.biz)
GC-43, Ground Floor, Block C,
Kelana Square, 17 Jalan SS7/26,
Kelana Jaya, 47301 Selangor, Malaysia.
H/P: 012-6018838
Tel: 03-78042287 / 78042207
Fax: 03-78042281
IF BETTER IS POSSIBLE, GOOD IS NOT ENOUGH
CONFIDENTIAL NOTE:
The information contained in this email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete the mail. Thank you.