Re: [ossig] JSP v PHP for Biz Intelligence Application

hahaha... now we have ruby vs php vs j2ee...
may be later we might also add cold fusion, .net and many other platforms....

Sau Sheong, agree with you on looking the platform based on a more holistic
picture...

raja, ready to take the plunge?

--- Chang Sau Sheong <cssheong@pacific.net.sg> wrote:

> mel wrote:
> >> my company, and many other companies still choose j2ee as their platform
> for
> >> developing commercial financial applications, including ERP etc.
> >>

> > i started with j2ee as well to develop some huge critical apps before
> > and the reasons were exactly what you've argued for here. but that was
> > four years ago - and now, i don't see any reason why php is inferior
> > compared to j2ee for financial apps. can you elaborate? cut out the
> > marketing/business stuff...
> >

> Why cut out the marketing/business stuff? Technology is only part of the
> issue in developing product software. Having good tools is important but
> the difference between PHP and J2EE in terms of delivering a good piece
> of software is marginal and in any case it's the people, not the tools
> that's important in developing software.
>
> If you're talking abt purely a comparison between PHP and J2EE from a
> technology perspective, someone who is very well versed in both can
> probably come up with a point by point comparison on the merits and
> deficiencies in both. Ultimately I believe for a purely web application,
> they don't differ much, PHP is at least as good as J2EE but with less
> overhead and costs to boot. However most enterprise applications are NOT
> purely web-based (as you would know since you have developed such
> applications before). Is J2EE better than PHP? I would say it depends on
> the application, the country and culture, the customer, the support
> team, the business relationships etc. Developing and selling software is
> complex, and if we just focus on the technical stuff we're going to miss
> out the real picture.
>
> BTW on a personal basis I develop in Ruby, because I enjoy Ruby better
> than Java or PHP :)
> > --mel
> > http://theron.com.my/blog

> --
> Sau Sheong
>
> http://blog.saush.com - brain dump
> http://www.projectible.com - online project publishing
> http://jaccal.sourceforge.net - smart card toolkit
> http://screensvr.rubyforge.org - Flickr screensaver

Wavelet Solutions Sdn Bhd (www.wavelet.biz)
GC-43, Ground Floor, Block C,
Kelana Square, 17 Jalan SS7/26,
Kelana Jaya, 47301 Selangor, Malaysia.
H/P: 012-6018838
Tel: 03-78042287 / 78042207
Fax: 03-78042281
IF BETTER IS POSSIBLE, GOOD IS NOT ENOUGH
CONFIDENTIAL NOTE:
The information contained in this email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete the mail. Thank you.