Re: [ossig] JSP v PHP for Biz Intelligence Application

Ok, with real programming languages you have a feel of the design decisions that went into it. There's a grammar you can look at, a spec you can implement, and the language creator sat down and thought about what the language allows and what it doesn't, and features are added with the target domain of the language in mind. Take C for example, a lot of it might be considered "bad" (pointers, no array bounds checking etc. - it's basically a portable assembly) but it does what it's supposed to do, and does it well within the domain it's used in (systems programming).

PHP doesn't seem to have this. It started out as a set of perl scripts to display somebody's resume. As it grew, it added features, rewrote the rules, and basically you think the developers are making it up as they go along. It still doesn't have namespaces. Register_globals is still there (no it doesn't make sense to me at all, web deployment is where security is critical is it not?). Type checking is almost nonexistent.

You probably can write secure, maintainable code in PHP, just as you can write object-oriented code in C. However, it feels like the language isn't going to help you in any way in the endeavour.

-= Nur Hussein =-

On 7/11/06, Ditesh Kumar <ditesh@gathani.org> wrote:

> PHP does not seem to have any design at all, and looks like an
> incidental byproduct of a series of tacked-on hacks. That's not a good
> thing for a programming language to be.

Well, are you going to substantiate this or is this going to head down
the traditional BSD flamewar arguments?

Ditesh