Re: [ossig] JSP v PHP for Biz Intelligence Application

agree, php is easy to learn, faster to write, but harder to maintain, great
tool for fast website development...

when it comes to more rigorous architecture and platform for financial
applications, recommend j2ee...

--- Nur Hussein <nhussein@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, with real programming languages you have a feel of the design decisions
> that went into it. There's a grammar you can look at, a spec you can
> implement, and the language creator sat down and thought about what the
> language allows and what it doesn't, and features are added with the target
> domain of the language in mind. Take C for example, a lot of it might be
> considered "bad" (pointers, no array bounds checking etc. - it's basically a
> portable assembly) but it does what it's supposed to do, and does it well
> within the domain it's used in (systems programming).
>
> PHP doesn't seem to have this. It started out as a set of perl scripts to
> display somebody's resume. As it grew, it added features, rewrote the rules,
> and basically you think the developers are making it up as they go along. It
> still doesn't have namespaces. Register_globals is still there (no it
> doesn't make sense to me at all, web deployment is where security is
> critical is it not?). Type checking is almost nonexistent.
>
> You probably can write secure, maintainable code in PHP, just as you can
> write object-oriented code in C. However, it feels like the language isn't
> going to help you in any way in the endeavour.
>
> -= Nur Hussein =-
>
> On 7/11/06, Ditesh Kumar <ditesh@gathani.org> wrote:
> >

> > > PHP does not seem to have any design at all, and looks like an
> > > incidental byproduct of a series of tacked-on hacks. That's not a good
> > > thing for a programming language to be.
> >
> > Well, are you going to substantiate this or is this going to head down
> > the traditional BSD flamewar arguments?
> >
> > Ditesh

Wavelet Solutions Sdn Bhd (www.wavelet.biz)
GC-43, Ground Floor, Block C,
Kelana Square, 17 Jalan SS7/26,
Kelana Jaya, 47301 Selangor, Malaysia.
H/P: 012-6018838
Tel: 03-78042287 / 78042207
Fax: 03-78042281
IF BETTER IS POSSIBLE, GOOD IS NOT ENOUGH
CONFIDENTIAL NOTE:
The information contained in this email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete the mail. Thank you.