Re: [ossig] JSP v PHP for Biz Intelligence Application

On Tue, 2006-07-11 at 22:00 +0800, Chang Sau Sheong wrote:
> Why cut out the marketing/business stuff? Technology is only part of
> the issue in developing product software. Having good tools is

true. but,

a) that's a whole thread of its own. for purposes of clarity, we may
wish to spin off a separate thread for that.

b) the truth is we are mostly geeks and technologists. we grok
technology better then business, well, perhaps not all of us, but
definitely most of us. hence, our ability to debate/argue/discuss
technology is considerably better then to discuss business issues.
that's not to say business issues are not important, but having no
discussion is better then having an uninformed discussion, imho.

> have developed such applications before). Is J2EE better than PHP? I
> would say it depends on the application, the country and culture, the
> customer, the support team, the business relationships etc. Developing
> and selling software is complex, and if we just focus on the technical
> stuff we're going to miss out the real picture.

well said. however, other posters feel php is not as good as the j2ee
stack. i would like that to be substantiated, else we'll just be
promoting more fud, which when it comes from foss-er's, is just sad :(

> BTW on a personal basis I develop in Ruby, because I enjoy Ruby better
> than Java or PHP :)

to each his own :)

ditesh