Re: [ossig] JSP v PHP for Biz Intelligence Application

On 12 Jul 2006, at 7:34 AM, Ditesh Kumar wrote:
> the only language i know of that has been designed properly from
> ground
> up is ada, and we all know who's keeping ada company these days.

Define designed properly? From what I see of its history, it was
built from a specification, yes. But determining what went into the
spec came from an analysis of multiple languages to see what worked
and what didn't.

http://www.cs.fit.edu/~ryan/ada/ada-hist.html

Other than the fat specification from day one, I'm not sure how else
you mean designed properly?

There are various other languages that were created from scratch,
designed to be good for one specific purpose or another. Python
(Guido) and Ruby (Yukihiro Matsumoto) come to mind. They were
influenced by the design of other languages (ABC/Python, Perl/Ruby)
but ultimately all languages are influenced by something or another.

All languages have shortcomings in one way or another too, as no
designer was omniscient.

Not a flame, just curious what you meant exactly :)

Ken