Re: [ossig] JSP v PHP for Biz Intelligence Application

Calling PHP from JSP , I really mean reusing PHP Object in JSP

As for PHP, PHP able to call Java Object within PHP environment
http://www.php.net/java

But again you might argue back java will be supporting other language soon with jdk 1.5 :)

Other thing include, php come with full compilable source while java come with source code without the configure script.

I have to agree with Kenneth, a programming language is just a tool for a programmer to code, a software is program by programmer, how good the software is depends on how good is the programmer.

Look at this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.kkrieger, do you notice how small this FPS shooter game is ? 96 kb ! and is playable for 15 minutes .... This show how good the programmer is, manage to create a Doom like game without texture file s!

So no matter what language we choose, one of the factor to determine a good software is not the language itself but the programmer. If not we will be running out of job soon.......... If machine able to write and improve themself, we the programmer are useless.

Just my 2 cent thought.

Hong Cheng

On 7/13/06, Vincent Lee <leehongfay@yahoo.com> wrote:
just curious, is there anythign that the PHP can do, and cannot be done in JSP?

--- Kenneth Wong <kenneth.wong@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12 Jul 2006, at 3:03 PM, Nur Hussein wrote:
> > language can lead to serious consequences. But not having a design
> > at all like PHP, that does not make me comfortable.
>
> Where do you get the idea that PHP has no design at all? After 5
> versions and 10 years of history, can you really believe it has no
> design at all?
>
> It may have started out with a very rudimentary design, but it has
> evolved over the years, like all software does. Are you going to
> dismiss all software because it did not have a thick tome for
> requirements/specifications/design before coding started on day 1?
> Are you going to claim all software that isn't created by the classic
> waterfall process as crap?
>
> This isn't to say that PHP has a _good_ design today, but it would
> seem rather wrong to claim it does not have design.
>
> > I get what you're implying. But then again nobody writes web apps
> > in C, for a good reason. For me, PHP being a language developed in
> > "modern times" for applications that are going to be exposed to the
> > big bad intarw3b needs to be:
> >
> > 1) Easy to write secure code
> > 2) Very high-level
>
> The first one is actually quite easy if you know what you are doing,
> even in PHP. There are a few things that a good software developer
> would look at and run screaming for the hills in terror ( e.g.
> register globals) but using that would be primarily the fault of the
> programmer, not the language. Yeah, maybe it was a mistake to have
> register_globals on initially but that has been fixed since. The rest
> of the language isn't that easy to write insecure code in. Do you
> have any specifics versus other "web-enabled" languages?
>
> The PHP applications that exist today are not so much a problem of
> bad language design as a product of bad programmers. People can write
> bad code anywhere. If I go by some of the code I've seen in
> production, I would think Java wasn't an object oriented language :)
>
> > Once you throw in "enterprise-software" requirements into the mix,
> > you also need it to be
> >
> > 3) Maintainable
> > 4) Scalable
> >
> > PHP succeeds at 2, and fails at 1. And it's *too* easy to write
> > code that fails at 3 too. 4 I won't comment on.
>
> What specifically does PHP have in it that causes it to fail at
> maintainability? Even in python, one of the cleanest languages I've
> had the joy of working on, I've had bad developers produce
> unmaintainable, unreadable code. Would love to hear the exact problem
> with PHP specific syntax or language features?
>
> We know PHP scales to handle some fairly high traffic sites, so in my
> mind, PHP bats 4 out of 4 so far in the criteria listed.
>
> > So PHP doesn't appeal to me at all. Sorry.
>
> Everyone's entitled to their opinion, and I must admit PHP doesn't
> appeal to me either. But I'd like to hear specifics, rather than
> blanket statements that seem to run strongly counter to my experience
> [...]

Wavelet Solutions Sdn Bhd (www.wavelet.biz)
GC-43, Ground Floor, Block C,
Kelana Square, 17 Jalan SS7/26,
Kelana Jaya, 47301 Selangor, Malaysia.
H/P: 012-6018838
Tel: 03-78042287 / 78042207
Fax: 03-78042281
IF BETTER IS POSSIBLE, GOOD IS NOT ENOUGH
CONFIDENTIAL NOTE:
The information contained in this email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete the mail. Thank you.