Re: [ossig] Joint UNCTAD/UNITAR event on Free and Open-source Software (FOSS) New York, 29 August 2006

Sounds interesting.  Visited the website, then for the previous webminars I saw:

  Archived Webcast: Click here to view the webcast.
  (Real Player required for viewing:  Click here for free download)

For the upcoming FOSS discussions a simple request would be to make it
FOSS friendly (aka ogg).  Yes I know you can play realmedia files on
FOSS Operating Systems, but I'm stingy :) :P.

On 7/24/06, Fouad Riaz Bajwa <bajwa@fossfp.org> wrote:
> Dear Community Members,
>
> An important meeting is being organized at the United Nations in its New
> York City Secretariat on 29 August on the use of Free and Open Source
> Software (FOSS) in United Nations' programmes and at the UN itself. About
> 50-100 attendees are expected this important meeting.
>
> The Presenters include:
> * Colleen Thouez, Chief, UNITAR
> * Danese Cooper, Open Source Initiative / Intel
> * Richard Stallman, Free Software Foundation
> * David Pogue, New York Times
> * Glenn McKnight, Linux Professional Institute
> * Amy Weesner, UNITAR
>
> Key Participants include:
> * Dapo Ladimeji, Free Software and Open Source Foundation for Africa
> * Eben Moglen, Columbia University / Free Software Foundation  TBC
> * Novell (TBA)
> * Randy Ramusack, Microsoft
> * Michael Laing, UN ITSD
> * Bob Sutor, VP Open Source, Opens Standards, IBM
>
> The details are as follows:
>
> Joint UNCTAD/UNITAR event on Free and Open-source Software (FOSS) New York,
>
> Within the larger framework of a three-day UNITAR Web Seminar Symposium on
> ICT Policy Issues for Development, UNCTAD and UNITAR will hold an event on
> Free and Open-source Software (FOSS) on 29 August 2006 in New York, at
> United Nations Headquarters. The event will provide a forum for discussion
> on the policy and practical implications of FOSS, both globally and locally.
> It will also explore the potential for and depth of involvement of the
> United Nations regarding this issue.
>
> Background
> An increasing number of countries have recognized the important role of
> software  in addition to hardware, connectivity, content and human
> capacities  as the medium that enables people to use technology
> productively. Software is the inescapable interface between people and
> hardware  without software, computers are inoperable. Furthermore, software
> that cannot adapt to a diverse set of global users with a wide array of
> needs will have a limited impact on the adoption of information technology
> solutions.
>
> FOSS is software whose source code  its set of instructions  has been made
> open to the public and freely available under a public license. It is not
> necessarily free, as in "gratis" or free-of-charge. It is "free" and "open"
> because it can be freely used, altered and adapted, and redistributed. FOSS
> has become an inseparable component of a global technological reality. For
> example, much of the Internet runs on free software, and many distinguished
> firms use open  source information technology for mission-critical tasks.
> Nevertheless, FOSS is often insufficiently understood from an economic,
> human capacity and intellectual property perspective  all issues with
> important development implications.
>
> A greater awareness and better understanding of FOSS can help the United
> [...]

aizatto - sleep, to the power of z -_-;;^zzz